April 6, 2010

multisport training



The most difficult part of training for a triathlon is remembering there are three sports. I can't just focus on my swim, or my bike, or my run. I have to focus on all three a majority of the time. If I was just doing a sprint or olympic tri, I would have no problem getting in all the training. However, when it comes to doing the Ironman 70.3, it means I have to develop all three skills to a level I've never been at in even one sport.

Up until a month ago, I had never swam 1.2 miles. I still haven't biked 56 miles and I still haven't ran 13.1 miles. I know I'll tackle those two goals in the next month, but I still have to focus on my swim. As I start to ride and run further, I'm noticing I'm slacking off a bit on my swimming just because I don't have time to get in full workouts in all three sports. My goal is to do bike-to-run brick sessions 2-3 times a week, but I also want to add in the swim to bike bricks. It's starting to turn into training in the morning, training at lunch and training right after work.

Fortunately, it's still fun. The weather is getting nicer and that's making me more motivated to get outside and run and bike. I know my body will be sore from biking, running and p90x, and thankfully, I am able to recover a bit while I'm spending time in the pool. It's just the cycle of taking things one day at a time and making sure I'm doing at least some type of athletic activity every day.

1 comment:

  1. Focusing on the three different sports in triathlon is the most difficult part. You have to hone your skills in swimming, biking, and running in order to win, or come up respectably ahead. In many cases, players do not practice all three sports but just focus in one or two. Since there are many fitness centers in Glendale that offer various trainings on swimming, biking, and running, triathlon participants can enroll here to perfect their skills.

    ReplyDelete