March 28, 2010

testing out the new bike

I recently got a new road bike, a 2009 Raleigh Grand Sport. It's not the greatest, by any means, but it can get me from start to finish in a race. I've owned the bike for two weeks, but thanks to Colorado's amazing March weather, I haven't had a chance to ride it until today.

The only other time I've been on a road bike was during my first triathlon. My friend Guy let me borrow his. Throughout the entire ride, I could tell something was wrong, because it just never felt right. Turns out, riding a bike that is way too small will do that.

When I hopped on my new 58 cm bike, I could tell it was the perfect size. I wasn't crunched into a little ball and I wasn't stretched out horribly. Today's ride was only five miles because I just wanted a feel for the bike. It handled pretty well on a steep climb and was easy to control on the downhill. I know I can drop a couple hundred bucks more to make it 100 grams lighter, but I'm ok with the way it is now.

I know I will add an aero bar sometime in the next week and I may eventually add a new saddle, but right now the bike handles just fine. Now, it's just a matter of getting in the miles. Fortunately, this week is supposed to be amazing weather-wise, so I'm hoping to be out two or three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment