May 8, 2010

the start of physical therapy

Turns out, it is all about who you know. My knee problems haven't gotten much better, so my friend Paula offered to give me some physical therapy to see if she could fix it. She signed up for the Kansas 70.3 with me and she says she will do her best to make sure I can race with her. We're fairly even in abilities (I'm swim a little faster and she runs a little faster) so it would be nice to have someone to directly compete with.

We started by checking out exactly where I am injured. Turns out, it's not actually my IT band. That's good and bad. It's good, because it means I don't have IT band issues. It's bad, because she doesn't really know what the issue is. She gave me a steroid patch that over time is supposed to help strengthen my knee.

Also, my running gait is a little weird because I don't heel strike with my left foot. That is probably a pretty big reason I had stress fracture and now knee issues. I practiced focusing on heel striking, but I use a different set of muscles in my leg, so it's like re-teaching myself to run. I managed to get through 3 miles today with no pain in my knee... however my muscles in my shin were definitely feeling it. It shouldn't take too much time to get my muscles adjusted to working a different way, so I'm hoping this is a nice fix it.

I have decided my decision will happen on Sunday, May 16th. I'm planning on doing a sprint tri in Morrison that day and if I can make it through the run with zero, or at least minimal, pain... then I'll sign up for Kansas. If it's painful, then I can't do Kansas because I'm not going to walk 10 of the 13 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment